Below are several of the resources that you may need to learn more about Ohio 4-H Animal Sciences Horse Programs.
- Circulars and Bulletins (Ohio 4-H)
- Horse Identification Form (pdf)
- Horse Leasing Guidelines with Horse Identification Form (pdf)
- Multiple County Horse Activities Guidelines (pdf)
- National Handbooks
- Ohio Judges Contact Info and Evaluation
- Over Fences Guidelines (pdf)
- Permission to Participate Form (pdf)
- State Fair Junior Horse Show
- Web Sites
- Ohio 4-H Horse Program Protective Headgear Policy FAQs
- Stakes Race-New for 2012!
- Keyhole Race- New for 2012!
Youth Advisory Committee
State 4-H Horse Committee
State 4-H Horse Show Judges Committee
REINS Application Information & Recommendation Forms
What is REINS? (pdf)
Horse Advisory Committee Grant
2013 Grant Application (pdf)
Performance Against a Standard (PAS) Horse Show Information
Ohio 4-H Horse Show Judges Program Information
- 2013 Judges List & Contact Information (pdf)
- Dressage Judge's Contact Information (pdf)
- Judges Show Evaluation (pdf)
- Apprentice Judge Evaluation (pdf)
- Judges Applicant Recommendation form (pdf)
- 4-H Show Evaluation form (pdf) - completed by contracted Judge only
- Judges List Rules and Regulations (pdf)
- Judges List Application (pdf)
- 2013-2014 Judges Renewal Application (pdf)
- State 4-H Horse Show Judges Committee Members (pdf)
Below is information listed for judges appearing on the Ohio 4-H Horse Show Judges List for the current year:
- Evals: Total number of evaluations for shows judged that have been turned in for the last two years.
- Test Score: Based on a 100 pts, open book exam on the Uniform Rules for Horse Shows. Due to mail service delays some judges have a "0" score. These will be updated on the web site copy of the judge's list.
- Apprentice: If the Apprentice box has been checked, this judge is willing to train beginning (Apprentice) judges.
- Beginner: If the Beginner box has been checked, this judge is classified as a beginning judge. This judge must have 10 show evaluations on file in the State Office to advance to regular judge status and to be recommended to judge PAS or to work with Apprentice judges.
- PAS: If the PAS box has been checked, this judge is approved and wishes to judge Performance Against the Standard Qualifying shows for State Fair Qualification.
***Any class or discipline box that has been checked signifies that this judge is willing and qualified to judge the listed class or discipline. If a box has been left unchecked, this judge does not claim expertise in this area and does not wish to judge it.
The judge's contact information along with other additional cards held can be found on the site by downloading the Judges Contact Information link at the top of the page.
The Dressage judge's list is also available on this site by using the Dressage Judges Contact Information link at the top of the page. Only these judges or other USEQ approved Dressage judges may judge 4-H Dressage classes to qualify youth for State Fair Dressage classes.
- 173 Horseless Horse Project
- 174 Beginning Horse Management
- 175 Light Horse Selection
- 177 Basic Horse Training
- 179 Uniform Rules for 4H Horse Shows
- 180 Learning to Jump
- 181 Draft Horse
- 184 Standardbred Horses
- 185 Equine Reproduction and Genetics
- 188 Trail Riding
- 189 Dressage
- 191R Horses, Safety and You
- 762 Horse Nutrition
- 762 Horse Nutrition Bulletin
- OSU Equine ENews (http://equineenews.osu.edu)
- Ohio Horse Directory (http://ohiohorsedirectory.osu.edu)
- OSU Vet Med (http://vet.osu.edu/preventivemedicine)
- eXtension - Horse Quest
eXtension is an interactive learning environment delivering the best, most researched knowledge from the smartest land-grant university minds across America. eXtension connects knowledge consumers with knowledge providers - experts who know their subject matter inside out.
- AYHC Horse Industry Handbook and AYHC Leaders Manual - by American Youth Horse Council, The Equine Collection - Dept AYHC, PO Box 1539 Fort Lee, NJ 07024-1539. 800-952-5813 Fax 201-840-7242
- Every Time, Every Ride - Helmet Safety for Riders (Available in County offices) or
To purchase this video visit Washington State 4H Foundation
- Horses, Kids and Ethics - Jeff Goodwin (Available in County offices) or
To purchase this video visit Creative Educational Video (see contact info below) and refer to product JGS20006T (VHS) or JGS20012T (DVD).
- Creative Educational Video
P.O. Box 65265
Lubbock, TX 79464
800-922-9965 or visit their online catalog at www.cevmultimedia.com
CEV has several videos of excellent quality on horse judging and other horse topics available priced between $50 and $85.
- The Russell Meerdink Co. Ltd.
1555 S. Park Ave
Neenah, WI 54956
- Video Horse World
205 W. Plymouth St.
Bremen, IN 46506
- Breakthrough - books on horses
P.O. Box 676
Holmes, PA 19043-0676
Most breed associations have videos of excellent quality on horse judging at little or no cost. Contact state or national breed associations for lists of what is available.
- AQHA (www.aqha.com)
- APHA (www.apha.com)
- Arabian Horse Judging Contest 2003 DVD
Arabian Horse Association
10805 E Bethany Dr.
Aurora, CO 80014
- National Horse Judging Team Coaches Association
"The mission of the NHJTCA is to provide and enhance communication and networking among coaches, encourage consistency among contests, promote and encourage training for coaches and students of horse judging, attract people to competitive horse judging and promote closer public relations among all parties interested in and associated with the horse industry."
This association compiles upcoming contest dates, contest results, horse judging resources (videos and manuals) and scholarship winners.