For Educators and Extension Professionals
Welcome 4-H Professionals. Here you will find:
- Livestock Disease Spread Prevention Handout (color)
- Livestock Disease Spread Prevention Handout (b&w)
- 2014 4-H Dog Showmanship and You & Your Dog Questions/Answers - Please share only with Showmanship and You & Your Dog Interview Judges!
- County Fair Ear Tag Ordering Information (Updated 11.01.13)
- Judges Lists per Species
- Ohio Youth Food Animal Quality Assurance (2014 County QA Dates posted as of 12/17/13)
- Updated GPP's 1, 7, 8 Relay Activity (02.26.13)
- BQA Training Materials
- Quality Assurance Exercises
Scrapie Tag Information
- Ohio Extension Update - March 2010 - ID Changes in Livestock Markets and Restrictions Associated with Blue Tagged Sheep and Goats
- Pictures of the blue slaughter tags used by markets
- Scrapie ID Request and/or Tag Order Form
Click here for the 2014 County Fair Tag Ohio 4-H Livestock Allflex USA Ear Tag Order Form (all species are on one form).
Click here for the County Fair Codes.
If you have any questions, please contact Tammy Zimmerman (PBS) at 330.834.3000.
Note: You can order the tags at anytime; however allow ample time to receive tags following your order.
You are not required to use these tags. Counties may purchase tags from another company.
2014 Steer Nose Print Information
For those steers to be entered in the Ohio State Fair, member must own steer by January 1st and steer nose print cards are due January 15. Those dates do not change from year to year. They can be sent to Ohio Expo Center and State Fair, c/o Stacey French, Livestock Office, 717 E. 17th Ave., Columbus, Ohio 43211-2698. Counties having special circumstances that make it difficult to make the January 15 deadline must contact Stacey French prior to the deadline for each individaul circumstance and approval.
Nose print cards can be ordered free of charge from OSUE Publications at http://estore.osu-extension.org/.
THIS IS NOT AN APPROVED, CERTIFIED, OR RECOMMENDED LIST, but merely a listing of those who have judged Junior Fair shows in Ohio from 2011 - 2013, with some listed in prior years. This list is a result of responses received through a state-wide request for information on judges, with 31 counties responding.
Click on each species below for a listing of judges. This list was posted on 12.27.13.
Ohio 4-H Dog Judges' Contact Information. This list contains the names and contact information of current and new dog judges who attended the February 2, 2013 Ohio 4-H Dog Judges' Seminar.
2013 4-H Animal Sciences In-Service Presentations
- Dr. Steve Boyles - Acceptable Environmental Conditions for Animals
- Dr. Kim Cole - Equine Handling
- Kara Colvin - Equine Body Condition Scoring
- Dr. Leah Dorman - Current Issues in Agriculture
- Dr. Tony Forshey - ODA's Relationship to Signature Program and Fair Update
- Dr. Paul Kuber - Educating the Public about Animal Welfare
- OLCS Bovine Fact Sheet pdf
- OLCS Equine Fact Sheet pdf
- OLCS Ovine, Caprine, Camelid Fact Sheet pdf
- OLCS Poultry Fact Sheet pdf
- OLCS Swine Fact Sheet pdf
- Truths in Agriculture Brochure
- USFRA Conversation with Ease Brochure
- Youth Animal Welfare Exhibition Brochure - Leader
- Youth Animal Welfare Exhibition Brochure - Member
- Jeff McCutcheon - Food Labeling and Direct Marketing
- Dr. Lucinda Miller - Backyard Poultry
- Penne Smith - Canine Body Condition Scoring
- Penne Smith and Kristen VanNess - Canine Handling
- Materials to Teach Quality Assurance - Dr. Paul Kuber
- 2013 Ohio Beef Expo Youth Food Animal Quality Assurance Certification - Members who successfully completed the QA training should have received a certificate from the Ohio Cattlemen's Association.
- DUNF Form (Draft) - Required Fields From Lisa McCutcheon - During the 2011 OFMA Junior Fair Conference, Cindy Bodie of the Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA) presented information pertaining to the appropriate completion of a Drug Use Notification Form (DUNF). A request was made that a “highlighted” version be made available that could be used to demonstrate to Junior Fair exhibitors, or to train Junior Fair Board members. Cindy updated a DUNF and has attached it for your use. Should you need anything else, please don’t hesitate to contact Cindy (email@example.com) or Lisa McCutcheon (firstname.lastname@example.org). We would be more than happy to assist you in any way.
- Drug Use Notification Forms (DUNF): Let's Make This Process as Easy as Possible! Presentation given by Lisa McCutcheon, Extension Educator, 4-H, Licking County and Cindy Bodie, ODA, Animal Industry, at the 2011 Junior Fair Conference to help people understand the purpose of the DUNF and how to correctly complete this form.
Youth Quality Assurance Resources from Counties
- County/EERA Youth Quality Assurance Dates - as of 04/03/14. (These will be updated on a regular basis.)
- 2010 Quality Assurance Program Documentation of Attendance developed by Michelle Chanay, 4-H Program Assistant, Holmes Co. and Tim Tanner, 4-H Extension Educator, Harrison Co. for Crossroads EERA (Microsoft Publisher; will print two certificates on one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper)
Youth Quality Assurance Activities
- Treatment Record Activities - Nancy Snook, 2014
- Quality Assurance Relay Actiivty - GPP's 1, 7, 8 (2013) - updated from In-service CD
- QA Relay Photos - GPP's 1, 7, 8 (PowerPoint) - updated from In-service CD
- Hula "Girl" Flora - GPP 8 Activity
- Quality Assurance Relay - GPP's 2, 5, 9 Activity
- QA Relay Photos PowerPoint
QA TEST-OUT OPTION:
As an OPTION, county Extension professionals and senior fair board members may elect to allow 12-14 year-old and 15-18 year-old 4-H and FFA members test out of their annual quality assurance (QA) program. Youth ages 12-14 who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program for up to 3 years. Youth ages 15-18 years who pass the QA test can test out of their annual QA program permanently. These ages are as of January 1, 2014 – a youth’s 4-H age.
The following are PDF files of the 2014 Food Animal Quality Assurance Tests. Two tests are available for 4-H professionals: a large animal (including beef, sheep, swine, dairy and goats) and a small animal (including poultry and rabbits), as well as for two age groups: 12-14 years old and 15-18 years old. Several versions of the tests have been posted. The youth member has the choice of taking either the Large Animal or Small Animal test if he/she has projects in both areas. There are several new test questions reflecting the new GPP's 1, 3 and 6 presented by Paul Kuber at the Assuring Quality Care for Animals In-service, with more detailed information included on 4-H professionals' CD's.
The material for the tests is from the Ohio Youth Food Animal Quality Assurance Curriculum Guide and the new GPP information. Additional copies of the Guide can be purchased by contacting Michelle Milligan, OSU Animal Sciences Dept., at email@example.com or calling her at 614.292.7374. Notebooks are $45.00 each. Families and/or 4-H Clubs may purchase this Guide as a study resource for youth taking the Test Out Option. Click here for the YFAQA Curriculum Guide Order Form.
Only allow youth one chance to take the exam. If they do not pass the first time they must sit through a QA session for the current year and then can return the next year to try the exam again. Please keep the exams and do not give them back to the youth. Let them know if they pass or fail (70% or higher is pass). For this year, please send the following form to Crystal Ott. Please do not send graded exams to us.
Email this information to: Crystal Ott at firstname.lastname@example.org following the conclusion of your QA test-out sessions for the year.
Please contact either Paul (614.292.8305) or Lucinda Miller (614.292.7453) or email@example.com if you have any questions or comments.
Large Animal: Ages 12-14
- LA Test 1 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Test 1 [ANSWER KEY Test 1 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Key 1]
- LA Test 2 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Test 2 [ANSWER KEY Test 2 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Key 2]
- LA Test 3 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Test 3 [ANSWER KEY Test 3 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Key 3]
- LA Test 4 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Test 4 [ANSWER KEY Test 4 : 2014 FAQA LA 12-14 Key 4]
Large Animal: Ages 15-18
- LA Test 1 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Test 1 [ANSWER KEY Test 1 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Key 1]
- LA Test 2 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Test 2 [ANSWER KEY Test 2 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Key 2]
- LA Test 3 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Test 3 [ANSWER KEY Test 3 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Key 3]
- LA Test 4 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Test 4 [ANSWER KEY Test 4 : 2014 FAQA LA 15-18 Key 4]
Small Animal: Ages 12-14
- SA Test 1 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Test 1 [ANSWER KEY Test 1 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Key 1]
- SA Test 2 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Test 2 [ANSWER KEY Test 2 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Key 2]
- SA Test 3 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Test 3 [ANSWER KEY Test 3 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Key 3]
- SA Test 4 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Test 4 [ANSWER KEY Test 4 : 2014 FAQA SA 12-14 Key 4]
Small Animal: Ages 15-18
- SA Test 1 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Test 1 [ANSWER KEY Test 1 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Key 1]
- SA Test 2 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Test 2 [ANSWER KEY Test 2 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Key 2]
- SA Test 3 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Test 3 [ANSWER KEY Test 3 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Key 3]
- SA Test 4 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Test 4 [ANSWER KEY Test 4 : 2014 FAQA SA 15-18 Key 4]
In connection with the Assuring Quality Care for Animals Signature program, the Assuring Quality Care for Animals Core Team has created surveys to help capture data that shows learning from Quality Assurance programs. The Design Team helped to pilot the surveys in 2013 and confirmed there was evidence of learning from the pre and post surveys given. To match the 2014 GPP’s taught, we have replaced four of the pilot survey questions with two each representing GPP’s 3 and 6. GPP 1 was already represented on the pilot survey. We hope to be able to capture better data in 2014 with all counties participating.
Please give these surveys out and collect the data at each quality assurance session. When complete, please send the cover sheet and stack of surveys to Crystal Ott at the state office. We are working on a process to get the data entered and summarized from the state level. Each county’s data will also remain separate which will be a great resource for your 2014 RiV.
- Survey Instruction (cover) sheet
- QA Pre-Survey (Publisher : PDF)
- QA Post-Survey (Publisher : PDF)
- QA Post Post-Survey (Publisher : PDF)
Please send to:
Nationwide and Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center
Attn: Crystal Ott
2201 Fred Taylor Drive
Columbus, OH 43210
These presentations can be opened up with Adobe Acrobat.
- Beef Quality Assurance Exercise.PDF
- Dairy Quality Assurance Exercise.PDF
- Goat Quality Assurance Exercise.PDF
- Poultry Quality Assurance Exercise.PDF
- Sheep Quality Assurance Exercise.PDF
- Swine Quality Assurance Exercise.PDF